Bellechester City Council Meeting Minutes
August 12, 2019 @ 6:30PM
Meeting was called to order by Mayor Greg Majerus at 6:27 p.m.
Pledge to the flag.
Roll call was taken: The council in attendance: Mayor Greg Majerus, Council people Doug Majerus, Rich Majerus, Mark Gerken and Brian Ringeisen as well as Lisa Redepenning and Kyle McKeown. Also present is Karen Peterson, Pat McNamara, Mark Beachy and Sue Majerus.
Minutes of July 2019 meeting were approved with motion was made by Rich Majerus with a second Brian Ringeisen by to approve the minutes as presented. Motion carried.
Bills were reviewed and a motion by Rich Majerus with a second by Doug Majerus to approve and pay the bills as presented. Motion carried.
Public Hearing – Grant for Generator for Well House – no citizens were present. Hearing closed.
- Road repair update – Rich followed up. They will be coming soon and will let Rich know so he can mark the road ahead of time.
- Update on Emergency Generator – Portable generator may be easier to get grant for. Rich submitted information on this. Rich met with Rural Water to see if we can get 25% grant to make the remaining money along with USDA grant. We may be able to save some money if the pump house is already wired for generator.
- 2020 Budget – no changes were suggested, other than the change last month for snow plowing.
- Garage building permit Mark Beachy – Garage will be built. Motion was made by Mark Gerken with a 2nd by Rich Majerus to approve the garage permit as presented as long as it meets the county’s inspection. Motion carried.
- Slow Signs on Cty Road 16 – Sue Majerus spoke about speed throughout the city, not just at county intersections. Portable speed sign was put up, but we did not get any information on the results from the County. Rich contacted the county engineer regarding a permanent sign, but it does not seem to be effective when people know it’s there all the time. We will contact the County Sherriff’s office on getting exact numbers and seeing what occurs in other cities our size. Can we lower the speed limit? The state may do a test but may increase the speed as a result. Discussion on a flashing speed sign. Rich will contact both Goodhue and Wabasha county to see about their feeling on flashing stop signs. County will pay for half of the cost of one portable speed sign. We can purchase more. Rich will follow up.
- Karen Peterson front steps permit and fence – Deck will put over the current cement and railing. Decking will cover the entire existing steps. 7 foot and lower does not need to be permitted. Motion was made by Rich Majerus with 2nd by Doug Majerus to approve the building permit as presented by Karen Peterson. Motion carried. Current renters are going to be attaching a fence to current pool.
- Residential Above Ground Pool Ordinance. Pool ordinance was discussed and will be further discussed with more information gathering. We currently do not have one. Zumbrota, Rochester and Red Wing ordinances were given to council for review by Pat McNamara .
- Flood insurance F E M A – Rich received an inquiry this spring from a resident saying that they wanted to purchase flooding insurance, but could not. Rich contacted FEMA and they indicated that we are not in the flood plain. We can fill out paperwork and pass a resolution and residents can then apply for it. Rich has all the forms. Do we want to pursue this? There are some things in the ordinance that would be beneficial to the city.
- Zoning /permitting building ordinance – Rich verified a lot needs to have living quarters on it with garage, no garage cannot be built without living quarters.
- Fence ordinance – Finished size of fence to be facing the neighbors is not a requirement of current ordinance. Considering looking at changing it. We will look into doing this in the future.
Clerk Report –
Treasurer Report – There was another ACH reject on same account. Letter will be sent and removal from ACH will occur. Past due accounts will be notified before being certified to county.
Water/Wastewater/Facility Report – Cameraing and jetting was done. Roots were found, but the pipe was good. We see the amounts of water pumped and what is coming into ponds. If we have an issue of sump pumps coming into our system, do we need to look at this further in the future. This year’s bill for this will be a bit higher. Rich is still working on boundaries by the pond and determining where they are. 3 muskrat openings were found at the pond. We need to find someone who will assist us in this problem. We have spent too much money on this issue.
Mayor Concerns: None.
Council Concerns – Brian was contacted about a book/borrow box at playground. It would be built and maintained by Shelly Poncelet. Rich Majerus made motion with a 2nd by Brian Ringeisen for approval for Shelly Poncelet to construct and maintain a book box in the city. Motion carried.
Motion was made by Brian Ringeisen with a second by Mark Gerken to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. Meeting was adjourned at 8:07 pm. Next meeting is September 9, 2019.
Submitted by Lisa Redepenning – City Clerk
Fee Change for Utility Bills – Shut off fee was eliminated with a single reconnect fee of $100, aa 10% interest fee after 90 days and returned check fee of $25. Any unpaid utility bills as of 10/1 will go on taxes. Pleases make sure all past dues are up to date by September 1st.
Burn Pile – With fall approaching, please remember that burn pile is for brush and leaves only. We can get fined for all other items left here.
Recycling – Please recycle whenever you can. There is a recycling bin located on the north end of town by GB Feed and Supply. By recycling, this will keep our garbage rates from rising.
Council meets the 2nd Monday of the month @ 6:30pm at the Bellechester Community Center.
- Bellechester City Council – Meeting Minutes August, 2019- Bellechester City Council Meeting Minutes August 12, 2019 @ 6:30PM Meeting was called to order by Mayor Greg…
- Bellechester City Council – Meeting Minutes July, 2019- Bellechester City Council Meeting Minutes July 8, 2019 @ 6:30PM Meeting was called to order by Mayor Greg Majerus…
- Bellechester City Council – Meeting Minutes June, 2019- Bellechester City Council Meeting Minutes June 10, 2019 @ 6:30PM Meeting was called to order by Mayor Greg Majerus…
- Bellechester City Council – Meeting Minutes May, 2019- Bellechester City Council Meeting Agenda May 13th, 2019 @ 6:30PM Meeting was called to order by Mayor Greg Majerus…
- Delinquent Water Bills- Will go to County on 10/1 and assessed to your taxes. Please be up to date to avoid this.