Bellechester City Council Meeting Minutes
September 9, 2019 @ 6:29PM
Meeting was called to order by Mayor Greg Majerus at 6:27 p.m.
Pledge to the flag.
Roll call was taken: The council in attendance: Mayor Greg Majerus, Council people Doug Majerus, Rich Majerus, Mark Gerken, Brian Ringeisen as well as Lisa Redepenning and Kyle McKeown. Father McCabe and Officer Tyler Riegelman from Goodhue County Sherriff’s office was also present.
Minutes of August 2019 meeting were approved with motion was made by Rich Majerus with a second by Brian Ringeisen by to approve the minutes as presented with name typo corrected. Motion carried.
Bills were reviewed and a motion by Rich Majerus with a second by Mark Gerken to approve and pay the bills as presented. Motion carried.
- Road repair – update. Rich updated the council on progress. It may not occur until end of month. Rich marked all the repairs that are needed.
- Emergency Generator – update. Quotes are higher than anticipated due to the requirement of getting portable. If we needed a building, it needs to be ADA approved with money with USDA. Discussion was done on our options and if we will be continuing with the grant process for portable and go back to stationary, which costs less.
- 2020 Budget – approve. No changes were made.
- Slow Signs on Cty Road 16 – update. Permanent solar powered speed traffic signs will be discussed this winter to be put up on town. What is the Sherriff’s office seeing for speed in our town? We will get this information from them.
- Flood insurance F E M A / Review federal flood plain info – update. Documentation was distributed on what was received for review. Will be discussed in future. Forms will be filled out.
- Rural Water Grant – update. See emergency generator.
- Father McCabe – help with playing field and kick ball or soccer nets. Father McCabe was present to discuss the possibility of using the playground as part of his Latino community outreach and start a Youth Group at church. Soccer, kickball, volleyball were discussed as options for use. Doug knows where the nets are and Kyle indicated bases are at the storage ponds. Soccer nets and cones are the only things in need. Park fund can be used for purchase of these nets and/or equipment. Storage was discussed for these accessories. Skating was also brought up to see if there would be of interest. Motion was made to approve expenditures of recreational equipment for use at park by Brian Ringeisen with a second by Rich Majerus. Motion carried.
- Bellechester Franchise Ordinance/ Nuvera Communications Renewal. We will have their legal department draft up an agreement for council to review.
- 2020 Preliminary Levy Certification Motion was made by Rich Majerus with a second by Doug Majerus to set preliminary levy at $60,000. Motion carried.
- Review Conflict of Interest Policy – review, discuss (required for Grant). Will be looked at in October.
- Pond varmints. Kyle ridded the pond of 4 muskrats. We are having a problem with finding someone to come and take care of the issue. Council will inquire with a few contacts that they know might want to take on the job. All animals need to be removed as to not create a refuge. Rich cannot find documentation yet on pond boundaries. Some repair needs to be done. We need to know if it is city property.
- Pond fence. Kyle will be replacing some barbed wire and took down some trees to clear the fence. It was recommended to spray again this fall for weeds.
- Garbage holiday pickup. Garbage will be picked up every Monday with the exception of 4th of July and Christmas. If these holidays are on a Monday, no pickup will be done.
Clerk Report – Utility bills will be sent later this month.
Treasurer Report – Past due accounts were distributed. All past due accounts will be reviewed and submitted for assessments to county, per the October 1st deadline that was given to residents.
Water/Wastewater/Facility Report – Discharging will be done later this week.
Mayor Concerns: Tree trimming was done that was blocking views. Residents will be notified if trimming is done by their property that is hanging over streets.
Council Concerns – None.
Motion was made by Rich Majerus with a second by Brian Ringeisen to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. Meeting was adjourned at 7:56 pm. Next meeting is September 9, 2019.
Submitted by Lisa Redepenning – City Clerk
Fee Change for Utility Bills – Shut off fee was eliminated with a single reconnect fee of $100, a 10% interest fee after 90 days and returned check fee of $25. Any unpaid utility bills as of 10/1 will go on taxes. Pleases make sure all past dues are up to date by September 1st.
Burn Pile – With fall approaching, please remember that burn pile is for brush and leaves only. We can get fined for all other items left here.
Recycling – Please recycle whenever you can. There is a recycling bin located on the north end of town by GB Feed and Supply. By recycling, this will keep our garbage rates from rising.
Council meets the 2nd Monday of the month @ 6:30pm at the Bellechester Community Center.