Bellechester City Council Meeting Minutes
January 13, 2020 @ 6:30PM
Meeting was called to order by Mayor Greg Majerus at 6:29 p.m.
Pledge to the flag.
Roll call was taken: The council in attendance: Mayor Greg Majerus, Council people Doug Majerus, Rich Majerus, Mark Gerken and Brian Ringeisen as well as Lisa Redepenning and Kyle McKeown were also present. Goodhue County Patrol Sergeant Jason Johnson was also present.
Minutes of December, 2019 meeting were approved with noted changes ~ motion was made by Rich Majerus with a second Doug Majerus by to approve the minutes with noted changes. Motion carried.
Bills were reviewed and a motion by Brian Ringeisen with a second by Rich Majerus to approve and pay the bills as presented. Motion carried.
- Above Ground Pool Ordinance – review/discuss/deny/approve. Check with the county to see what the requirements are for pools and if it’s renewed every year. Will review in future.
- Update on Grant – New application was received. Rich will follow up for next meeting.
- Update on Flood Plain Ordinance/FEMA concerns. Rich talked with them and verified that the wording and coverage will allow for residence to get flood insurance at the federal level and is pretty basic and appears to be no down side of this agreement, from what other cities have experienced. City council discussed commercial and industrial use. This ordinance will cover for items that we currently do not have wording for. Motion was made by Brian Ringeisen with a 2nd by Rich Majerus to approve Ordinance #34 – Floodplain Ordinance as presented. Motion carried.
- Street Repair update. They will be coming back to fix the street issues that were raised.
- Appointments for 2020 ~ Acting Mayor: Rich Majerus; Ambulance: Rich Majerus/Greg Majerus; Bank: First Farmers & Merchants; Attorney: Gorman; Fire Association: Mark Gerken/Doug Majerusc; Paper: News Record; City Engineer: Matt Mohs ~ Bolton & Menk, Inc. Motion was made by Rich Majerus with a 2nd by Doug Majerus to keep assignments for 2020 as the same as 2019. Motion carried.
- Gambling permits for American Legion – American Legion has 5 gambling permits allowed by the state. Motion was made by Mark Gerken with a 2nd by Brian Ringeisen to approve 5 gambling permits, as mandated by State. Motion carried.
- City Attorney vs County Attorney retainer. Greg received a call from Gorman’s office regarding our agreement with them for legal coverage and it may be more beneficial for a small city like us to maybe use the County Attorney instead. $150/hour is charged current by Gorman and our cases to date have been small, but if we were to run into a case that required more time, it may be costly. We will be getting a cost from Goodhue County Attorney on costs that will be reviewed and discussed in the future.
- 2020 Sealcoating & Bituminous Paving Work – review/discuss/approve. Rich will call WSB to find out the square footage of what work was done so we can get an estimate on how much we would be paying for this. Mark inquired on if there is an option to do heavily traveled roads only. Rich will get the county’s opinion on this. Motion was made by Rich Majerus with a 2nd Brian Ringeisen by to approve Goodhue County to seal coat with their approval letter sent by 1/31/2020 unless the costs outweigh the benefits, at that point we will not be included on their seal coating work for 2020. Motion carried.
- 2019 City Financials – review/discuss/approve. Motion was made by Mark Gerken with a 2nd by Doug Majerus to approve the city financials as presented. Motion carried.
- Building Permit/Siding – Champion Window Co on behalf of Charles Stehr – Motion was made by Rich Majerus with a 2nd by Brian Ringeisen to approve the building permit as presented. Motion carried.
- EDA Grant Application – review information/discuss. See Grant Update above.
Clerk Report – All year end reports are done. File just needs to be uploaded to state. LGA and County Money Received – LGA = $11,172, Goodhue = $21,465.35, Wabasha = $5128.72. $1.00 rent fee was received by BCCA.
Treasurer Report – Letters will be sent on past dues.
Water/Wastewater/Facility Report – Will be getting chorine ordered soon.
Mayor Concerns: Plowing concerns were brought up and will be addressed with plowing service.
Council Concerns: Residents have contacted council regarding possible questionable activities going on in town. Goodhue County Patrol Sergeant Jason Johnson indicated that residents need to contact dispatch directly regarding any and all possible issues.
Motion was made by Rich Majerus with a second by Brian Ringeisen to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. Meeting was adjourned at 8:05 pm. Next meeting is February 10, 2020.
Submitted by Lisa Redepenning – City Clerk
- 2020 Census – Census information is completely separate from the government information and that responses are protected by the constitution and will never be shared. Programs and funding that Bellechester residents can utilize are directly affected by these numbers, but we need to have correct population information when the money and decisions are made. It is important to answer these 10 questions are that will be receive on or about April 1
- Fee Change for Utility Bills – Shut off fee was eliminated with a single reconnect fee of $100, aa 10% interest fee after 90 days and returned check fee of $25.
- Burn Pile – Please remember that burn pile is for brush and leaves only. We can get fined for all other items left here.
- Recycling – Please recycle whenever you can. There is a recycling bin located on the north end of town by GB Feed and Supply. By recycling, this will keep our garbage rates from rising.
- Board of Equalization Meeting – will be April 16th @ 5:00 at the Bellechester Community Center. Our April council meeting will be moved to that date and occur after the BOE meeting.
Council meets the 2nd Monday of the month @ 6:30pm at the Bellechester Community Center.