Bellechester City Council Meeting Minutes
Board of Equalization Meeting
Goodhue County ~ 5:00 – 5:30
Wabasha County ~ 5:30-6:00
April 16, 2020 @ 5:00 PM
Meeting was called to order by Mayor Greg Majerus at 5:00 p.m.
Pledge to the flag.
Roll call was taken: The council in attendance: Mayor Greg Majerus, Council people Doug Majerus, Rich Majerus, and Mark Gerken as well as Lisa Redepenning and Kyle McKeown were also present. Council member Brian Ringeisen was absent.
Minutes of March, 2020 meeting with noted changes as well as Special City Council Meeting of April 2, 2020 meeting were approved and a motion was made by Rich Majerus with a second Doug Majerus to approve the minutes. Motion carried.
Bills were reviewed and a motion by Mark Gerken with a second by Doug Majerus to approve and pay the bills as presented. Motion carried.
• Update on Grants – review information/discuss – we need to submit quotes to USDA in the format they want. This will be verified so this can continue to move forward. Discussion was done on finalizing the quote to be submitted. We will need 2 bids for this and we will be working on this. Approximately $35,000 total, which has not changed much since we started looking into this.
• Change of time and date of Council Meetings – Discussion was made to change the meeting to the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 10:00 a.m. until further notice. If a resident cannot attend due to this time change, please contact the city and we can discuss alternatives. Motion was made by Rich Majerus with a 2nd by Mark Gerken to change the city council meeting date and time. Motion carried. Notices will be made on the website, TV and Messenger of this change.
• Water rate increase – tabled until later this year.
• League of MN Cities Property/Casualty Insurance Renewal – discussion was made to verify coverage. Motion was made by Rich Majerus with a 2nd by Mark Gerken to approve the coverage as presented. Motion carried. Warming house is available for free, first come, first served. Contact Greg Majerus or the city if interested.
Clerk Report – Street Repair Bill – FYI – As if today (Thursday), it has not been received. Taras Account – FYI – Dept of Veteran’s Affairs has officially taken possession of the home and utility billing are going to Abarim Realty, Inc dba Homes Plus Realty. Water Rate Increase – FYI – USDA indicated that we need to look at our current water rates. Base rate should be $39. We are at $34.25. Beau Brewer Digital – We received a notice that he is going to start charging yearly maintenance. I am looking to see if we can get another website hosting service.
Treasurer Report – Past due report was discussed.
Water/Wastewater/Facility Report – Water flow was discussed and next steps for us to take to find issues in the city with excess water coming into the ponds. Mowing and gravel work was discussed. Water discharging it occurring. More chlorine was purchased.
Mayor Concerns: None
Council Concerns: Council minute layout was discussed. ATV is being driven in town and was discussed. Goodhue County will be contacted to discuss action. City boundaries information was discussed.
Motion was made by Mark Gerken with a second by Doug Majerus to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried. Meeting was adjourned at 7:38 pm. Next meeting is May 13 @ 10:00 a.m. at the Bellechester Community Center.
Board of Equalization Meeting – with no residents present for either counties, meeting was adjourned.
Submitted by Lisa Redepenning – City Clerk
• Fee Change for Utility Bills – Shut off fee was eliminated with a single reconnect fee of $100, a 10% interest fee after 90 days and returned check fee of $25.
• Burn Pile – Please remember that burn pile is for brush and leaves only. We can get fined for all other items left here.
• Recycling – Please recycle whenever you can. There is a recycling bin located on the north end of town by GB Feed and Supply. By recycling, this will keep our garbage rates from rising.
• NEW COUNCIL DAY AND TIME: 2ND Wednesday of the month @ 10:00 a.m.
Council meets the 2nd Wednesday of the month @ 10:00 a.m. at the Bellechester Community Center.